The Ancient Historian

Ancient history, mountaineering, cycling and other outside adventures

Crappy Everest weather; summit day pushback

Ed Viesturs explains the delays on the FirstAscent (and everyone else’s) summit bid-crappy weather, requiring patience (i.e. sitting in tents at basecamp twiddling thumbs, or better, Ed Viesturs telling some cool stories) and the hope that a good weather window, perhaps May 16 th or 17th, does not cause everyone to go for the summit at once. This seems to be the most crowded basecamp ever on the southside, and it would obviously not be great if all teams went on the same night. This seems to me, from a very amateur armchair point of view at the moment, the hardest part of the sport….patience, wisdom, and acceptance that despite lots of weeks of planning, and acclimatizing (let alone travel to Nepal), the season might end without tagging a summit. Here’s wishing good luck to all climbers this next week (!)

Advertisements

Single Post Navigation

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: